Home Forums General Discussion Self publishing

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Jeremy Stanford 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Tara Lal
    Participant

Just wandering if anyone can recommend a good reputable self publisher? I’ve looked at a few but would love a personal recommendation. I’m new to this and although I’ve had representation from an agent we’ve had no luck! They all seem very profit driven and commercial and not really interested in your book at all!

Peter M. Ball
    Keymaster

Hi Tara – while I can’t recommend a specific commercial service from our listings, you might find the Amplified Author courses over on the if:Book Australia site useful. if:Book is a non-profit think-tank run out of Queensland Writers Centre, the same as AWM, and the courses feature a lot of information about how to self-publish your own work digitally and how to evaluate when/why it’s worth paying a commercial service to work on a particular aspect of your project.

Germán Muhlenberg
    Participant

Someone have any idea of Author House? It is good that option?

Jennifer Lancaster
    Participant

Hi, As a self publisher’s mentor, I would like to state that you can do it yourself (with guidance/freelance service). AuthorHouse is part of Author Solutions Inc (same as Xlibris, iUniverse and Balboa Press), ie it is a huge conglomerate with many sales staff. ASI authors sell on average 45 books (their research) and many have a one-off relationship with them I believe. Then of course you share the royalties 50/50 with them, that is after the retail cut mind you. Spend your money on freelance editing and individual book marketing if you want to go down this path.

Skye Collett
    Participant

Hello there, I’m also exploring self-publishing options at the moment and have reviewed so many over recent weeks my head is spinning.

Jennifer – Can I ask you, when you refer to freelance editing are you meaning individuals that offer these services as opposed to the commercial chains advertising the same? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.
    Skye

Jeremy Stanford
    Participant

Hi Tara,
    I published my first book through Book Baby. They take a one off fee and for that they format your book for you and place it on all the ebook platforms. They will help with cover design if you want and even do print. You receive 100% of the sales income. They’re really good I think. I would suggest you hire an editor before you go ahead though. Kathryn Moore is fab and reasonable.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.