Home Forums Writer’s FAQ Referencing other books/authors

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sue McKerlie 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Sue McKerlie
    Participant

Hey,
    I’m working on a narrative non fiction book. I want to mention lots of other books and authors throughout my story – do I need to contact them to get permission to mention? Or can I just make sure to reference them properly?

I’m so new to all of this and taking the advice of many good writers, I’m WRITING. But also unsure of a few things that are coming up for me along the way.

Thank you.
    Sue

Peter M. Ball
    Keymaster

Are you referencing just referencing titles, Sue, or are you actively quoting sections of the work? As a general rule, you don’t need to seek permission to just mention the title of a work. Actively quoting sections of it is another matter, unless the work is in the public domain.

Jane Friedman has a pretty good guide for when it’s time to start seeking permission, but it comes with the caveat that it’s aimed at American audiences. Australia doesn’t have the same Fair Use laws as the United States, though we do have a fair dealing law that operates in much the same way. Once you’re getting into this terrain, you’ll want to look at the resources available through the Australian Copyright Council and possibly get in contact with Arts Law Australia

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  Peter M. Ball.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  Peter M. Ball.

Sue McKerlie
    Participant

Hi Peter,

Thank you so much, that’s really helpful. I would probably just be mentioning the name of the book or website. I will have a look at those links though, because I may want to do some quotes.
    Thanks again for the reply.
    Sue

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.